Monday 18 July 2011

Lock and load

I like things. I particularly like the way humans build things. I like the way humans build things to solve simple problems. I like the way humans attempt to solve the same problem in so many different ways. Take the simple toilet lock (or restroom lock if you're reading this stateside). What a fascinating invention.

The problem - ensure no one can interrupt your precious toilet time. The simple solution - provide a locking mechanism:
a) to make you feel comfortably safe that no one is gonna bust in
b) that is robust and easy to use
c) that is pleasant on the eye.

Simple eh! So why is it that there are so many different versions of the humble toilet lock? This fascinates me and I'm sure if you really think about it it will fascinate you too. So next time you're out and find yourself in a toilet cubicle have a look at the lock and appreciate what you're looking at. Better still, get out your iPhone and take a picture like I've been doing for the last six months. In no time at all you'll build up quite a collection. I guarantee that no two locks are the same.

I'd love to see your pics so send 'em over and I'll feature them on these very pages. You'll also be pleased to know that me and a few mates are working on a delightful iPhone app which will revolutionise the way you can share your toilet lock collection.

So let me start you off with a classic standard issue lock.
- steady looks (3/5)
- a nice turn action (3/5)
- and a good feeling of security (3/5)




My vast collection has some absolute beauties in it from locks that don't lock (!) to locks of the highest engineering order. There really are some damn right bizarre locks out there. I look forward to sharing them with you all. I guarantee you'll become obsessed with this silly little game. I know I have.

Lock and load people, lock and load.



No comments:

Post a Comment